Maritime Industry and Ship Recycling
Ship-Building Rules Continue to Change
The legislative landscape for the ship-building industry, and ship owners, has changed dramatically over the past years. What seemed to be a very remote threat (Hong Kong Convention) has suddenly become a strong challenge for about two thirds of the world's merchant fleet, along with a significant portion of tourism ships.
These changes are driven by the European Commission (EC), as well as Parliament. By 2016, (with few exceptions into 2020), no ship will be allowed in any European harbor without proof of a certified Inventory of Hazardous Materials (IHM).
Responsibility of the Shipbuilding Sector
If a ship is not certified, compulsory measures will be applied. The shipyard is out of risk having the clear and not negotiable mandate to request the IHM relevant material declarations from their tier 1 suppliers. But what about the Tier 1? As a general rule he delivers systems / products whose material composition is known to him only fractionally. Creating MDs on own account, he will adopt legal responsibility for the information, as the SDoC legally binds the MD. In doubt, the Tier 1 will be made liable. A sound risk management should lead to the conclusion that the information should be sourced from the supply chain. Unfortunately, the regulation is not binding for the upstream supply chain. But the process has to be designed in such way that responsibility / liability are shared or transferred.
DXC's CDX addresses these challenges by
- Shifting the operative risk to DXC for data maintenance and aggregation as your service provider
- Implementing relevant compliance schemes
- Allowing data collection for different scenarios within in one collection effort
- Avoiding unnecessary, repeated data entries because multiple user supplier parts are created once and referenced once as needed, or sent to customers at different times
provides the following functionality to its customers:
- Provides a base of unique set of substances and materials composed thereof
- Supports reuse and simple versioning
- Simplifies change processes
- Supports communication between suppliers and customers by providing built-in workflows and communication
- Provides a simple to use and competitive option to establish a standardized process in-house or within any given supply chain
- Offers simple to use integration interfaces
- Provides a network of professional and experienced partners to allow for integration and outsourcing of tasks, as well as tailored consulting and training for you and your entire supply chain ...
VDMA / Ship-building Verband Deutscher Maschinen- und Anlagenbau (German Engineering Association)