IMDS in the Automotive Industry
In the Automotive Industry, IMDS is the global standard for gathering data for compliance reporting. CDX is not intended to compete with IMDS but instead extend the data gathering and reporting capabilities (such as conflict minerals) to other industries outside of Automotive. Since 2000, the Automotive Industry and DXC have collaborated to enhance IMDS to comply with international legislation and enhance the user experience.
IMDS Success Factors:
Standardized Data Collection throughout the Entire Supply Chain
- Car manufacturers agreed to a standardized approach instead of individual solutions
- More than 200,000 people from over 120,000 companies use IMDS in 140 countries
- Processes are identical throughout the supply chain; suppliers can address many different customers with the same solution
- IMDS provides standardized language for responses
Addressing a Critical Need
- Lack of standards made information exchange difficult
- Evolving legal restrictions related to environmental issues continued to increase
- A centralized IT-based approach was identified as the most economical and productive solution
DXC's IMDS Answers these Challenges by
- Creating a material information management system, accessible 24x7 through the Internet and available to the global supply chain
- Shifting the operative risk to DXC for data maintenance and aggregation, as the service provider
- Enabling data collection for different scenarios within in one collection effort
- Avoiding unnecessary repeated data entries; multiple used parts are created once and referenced as needed, or send to customers at different times. This includes used supplier parts: the customer always receives an aggregate of material data.
- Based on a unique set of substances and materials composed thereof to support reuse and simple versioning
- Simplifies change processes
- Supports communication between suppliers and customers by providing built-in workflows and communication
- Simple to use with a competitive option to establish a standardized process in-house or within any given supply chain
- Provides simple to use integration interfaces
- Provides a network of professional and experienced partners allow for integration, outsourcing of tasks and tailored consulting and training for you and your supply chain.